Thursday, February 19, 2015

A small dialogue in black and white


David Sher, a resident of B'ham, Alabama, has come up with The Comeback Town, a cyberplace for people to discuss improving the city. He hosts some black and white observations.

A white male named Jerry Carter waxes nostalgic about a more prosperous Birmingham, and memories of being young in the '40s and '50s: The Alabama Theatre was the absolute mecca for movie viewing.  I still recall my amazement when the Wurlitzer organ would rise up to stage level and music would fill the large hall.

He also appreciates efforts to bring back the magic in so-called Magic City.
A black female with the handle RavenBarnes writes of her memories, in response. I can’t comment on the Alabama Theatre because I don’t remember being allowed to even enter through the back alley and climb the stairs to the balcony like they allowed at the Lyric Theatre. I am happy that within the business community of Black Birmingham, we had the Carver Theatre and there was another black theatre down there on 4th Ave but I suppressed its name because one day while there I ordered some popcorn and I heard something say “me too” and when I looked down, it was a rat, so I never went back.

You can read Jerry Carter's response and write your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment